Exporting a client certificate from Firefox
< Exporting a client certificate
Firefox uses its private built-in certificate store.
- Open the Encryption preferences dialog in the Firefox browser by navigating Options -> Advanced -> Encryption or Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Encryption depending on OS/Version. This should open a window similar to the one shown below.
- To show all installed certificate click on the View Certificates buttton. This will shown the following dialog:
- The export operation is called Backup in Firefox.
- Select your certificate and click on the Backup button in the previous dialog. This brings up a dialog for selecting a filename and location for the certificate.
- Select a location and filename for the exported certificate. The file with be given the extension .p12 indicating that it is a PKCS12 certificate.
- When the location has been selected another dialog is shown asking for a export password, as shown in the next figure:
- Enter and remember a password to protect the file with, you'll need this to access it later. Use the password quality meter to choose a strong password for the exported certificate and private key.